Late last winter, Chip and I started searching for a storage ottoman for the office in our house. Along with my old desk, we also have a leather reading chair Chip bought years ago at a garage sale. This chair has stayed in great shape over the years and we thought it would be great to have an ottoman to accompany this chair for an optimal reading environment. However, while we were shopping around for one, we realized that ottomans aren’t cheap. As in the average price of what we were seeing was at least $60, which we weren’t willing to shell out.
So while walking around Hobby Lobby one evening for who knows what other project we were doing, Chip found a storage ottoman at a great price ($25 to be exact). I had initially walked by this ottoman for a good reason… it was covered in camo print. While this would have been great for a boy’s room, I didn’t see it matching our house. But Chip was inspired; we could just buy some fabric and I could reupholster it. I know this sounds like a simple idea, but I have never really worked much with fabric (except for my Pinterest jewelry board, I had never even used staple gun before). But Chip was hopeful. If I was really nervous about messing this up, I could just give my friend Haley a call (she’s a project pro). So we decided to buy the ottoman and several months later, I found some fabric at the Crate & Barrel outlet store in San Marcos (agreeing on a piece of fabric was much more difficult than we had anticipated).
We bought the ottoman last winter… I purchased this fabric this past May… and didn’t get to this project until a few weeks ago… just a small delay. I would say intimidation was a factor. My inner perfectionist was going through a serious fear of cutting the fabric incorrectly and then not having enough, or ruining this little ottoman or just doing a sloppy job. You’d think this was a bigger project than it really was!
My original plan was to remove the camo fabric and then recover with the new fabric. Well, the staples that were used for the camo fabric were pretty intense and really small. I even tried using a staple-remover tool from Haley and we couldn’t get anything out (she tried, too, and when she couldn’t get it, I decided it was time for Plan B). So the new plan was to just staple the new fabric down over the old camo print. Luckily the Crate & Barrel fabric was nice and thick so it covered everything just fine.
After taking the ottoman apart, I was finally bold and cut the fabric (luckily I measured everything fine and had enough fabric for the whole thing… phew!). The top of the ottoman was pretty easy to cover, so I moved on to the second piece. This was a little trickier for me, but luckily Chip offered his help. Together (amongst laughing and the occasional staple gun threat) we were able to get this bottom part all nice and covered. Sure, the seam down the side could have been neater or done better, but for my first time covering anything, I’m pretty pleased.
We’ve done some other small projects to this room. Chip had been dropping pretty big hints that he wanted our desk cleared up a bit (I’m really good at keeping clutter on a desk). Along with cleaning some of this stuff up, we also talked about our printer. It’s pretty big, takes up space, doesn’t look good and doesn’t get used that often. We decided that a small table would be great to put between the desk and the wall to hold the printer and that way the desk would be more clean. We did some searching around at Target and Craigslist but didn’t have much luck….
Until we went to Home Goods one evening. We love Home Goods and we’ll sometimes go there on date nights after dinner and just walk around. We found a small black shelf with whicker baskets that had dog themes. We had also been wanting to get Wrigley’s crate out of the office, but I had been using it as a make-shift table for a lot of his things (his flea prevention medicine, his Christmas sweater, etc.). We also wanted to get his leash and other items out of the laundry room, so this seemed like a great way to get all his stuff in one place. It fit perfectly in the office and now holds our printer, too.
We’re still trying to figure out what to do with the crate. Wrigley now sleeps in our room, so he doesn’t use it every day, but we have used it whenever we have a foster dog. So we just need to find a place to keep it when it’s just the three of us and then bring it back out whenever we have a foster. The easy solution would be to put it in a closet, but our little old home is lacking in that regard.
We’re happy with these small changes we’ve been making to the office, but we still have some other stuff in mind. We’d love to get a smaller and wider bookshelf in here to replace the super tall one we got on Craigslist last year. It’s been fine with this current bookshelf, we just feel it’s too big and interrupts the flow of the space of the room. We’re also hoping to get a tall lamp behind our reading chair and eventually get rid of those plastic blinds and replace with some nicer faux-wood ones. In the meantime, we’ve been enjoying spending more time in the office, reading and checking out the neighborhood with Sheriff Wrigley.